Platform Statement Instructions
This is your opportunity to explain to the national judges what your chosen platform is and why it is important for the Miss America Organization to embrace this platform. In addition, it should explain how your platform will further the Miss America Organization “brand” to the public.
It is important that these instructions are followed, even when using the preformatted page included. Any items incorrectly submitted that do not meet the criteria may be submitted to the judges without an opportunity to correct.
1. Go to the word processing program of your computer.
2. Start a “new” document.
3. Set margins for 1" on all four sides. The font style may not be any smaller than “10” and no larger than “12” point type using the Times New Roman font style.
4. With the justification set for left, type “Name:” in bold. Following the colon (:), hit the space bar twice. Then, type your name.
5. Then, move to the next line and type “Title:” in bold. Following the colon (:), hit the space bar twice. Then, type your state title.
6. Double space down. Set your justification to “center”. Then type in bold and underline the title of your Platform.
7. Double space down. Write what you feel is critical for the judge’s to know about your platform and why it is necessary for you to have the job of Miss America to promote this issue. What you write will be what the judges know about your platform, your role in successfully dealing with this issue, and the role the Miss America Organization may play in your plan.
8. This essay may include some of the following items (this is not meant as an exhaustive list):
- A clear definition of the platform and the specific issues you wish to address
- A plan on how you have or will create awareness of the platform
- The way in which you have or will change attitudes regarding the issue
- The way in which you have or will change behaviors related to this issue
- The way in which your platform issue will move the Miss America Organization forward
- Your media plans
- Your marketing strategy
- How you propose to fund your ideas/plans
- Any significant accomplishments you have made in regard to your issue
9. At the bottom of the page, set the justification to the right. Type a line of 26 spaces. Below that line, type Signature/Date and after printing sign and date the document. If you forget to sign and date, we will need to return the document to you as it cannot be accepted without your signature. Thank you.
It is important that you sign and date the document as shown in the attached sample prior to submitting
(Type Platform Title)